11/24/2007

Two words: Oscar Wilde

Ever since I've heard the phrase "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying", I've been madly in love with Oscar Wilde and his works. Even such a taboo like Teleny (a homosexual romance that is so unaccepted and unknown in Hungary, it couldn't even make its way to the Complete Works of Oscar Wilde Collection, making us joke with my friend that he might have written it after his death... specko jedno) sounds beautiful to me... What I like the most about Mr. Wilde is the way he tells stories and his words, of course. Here are some of my favourite Oscar Wilde quotations. Some, like me, like it ironic but very-very wise.

“Who, being loved, is poor?”
“Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.”
“Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.”
“It is the confession, not the priest, that gives us absolution.”
“The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.”
“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.”
“If you are not too long, I will wait here for you all my life.”
“The heart was made to be broken.”
“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.”
“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
“There are many things that we would throw away if we were not afraid that others might pick them up.”

I do not know what the situation is abroad (I guess it's better than here), but in Hungary there is a whole book full with selected Wilde quotations. Par excellence!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...