11/18/2008

A taste of Hungary.

What I really like about my country's culture (other than the sweets and acrimonious food) is the music our artists made ca. from the '50s to the end of the '80s. Whe have a lot of iconic songs everyone here knows by heart, they are mostly ballads with beautiful lyrics (because it's easy to write beautiful things in a language like ours since it has dozens of words for basically anything). One of these songs is the beautiful Valaki mondja meg (Someone please tell me).
I tried to translate the lyrics the best I could but of course the rhymes and the sound is not as beautiful as the original version, performed but well-known artist Gábor Presser and his band LGT and the artists of Vígszínház (a famous and legendary theatre in Budapest).

So, the lyrics:

Someone please tell me what life is like,
Someone please tell me why it's like that,
Someone please tell me why life is nice
Someone please tell me why it's not,

Someone please tell me why people are good,
Someone please tell me why they're not,
Someone please tell me why they become evil,
Someone please tell me why they don't,

Someone please tell me who to believe,
Someone please tell me who not to,
Someone please tell me where can someone get,
What the water of life tastes like.

Someone please tell me the long years
Why seem to be only a moment,
Someone please tell me what it means "gone",
Someone please tell me where it's gone.

Someone please tell me how to live,
My father told me not to hurt others,
Someone could see me hurting you,
Someone could see you hurting me.

Someone please tell me why we're here,
My mother said "be happy, son"
But mother didn't say why not on this world,
My mother didn't say, tell me why.


And the video of the original recording:
YouTube
(unfortunately I couldn't embed it...)

This is another version I found, performed by other respected artists:



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...