12/02/2007

Gustavo Santaolalla

Entertainment Weekly has chosen the 50 Smartest People in Hollywood and Gustavo Santaolalla is the 48th. For those of you who might not know him (or his name): he is a composer - think Brokeback Mountain, Babel, 21 Grams, Motorcycle Diaries...

I am glad he made the list, being - as far as I can recall - the only composer on it. The reason "why he is smart" is 'He's the anti–John Williams, capable of breaking hearts with a single guitar.' No-one could say it more perfectly. And ever since I've heard his beautiful score for 21 Grams, he's been my favourite contemporary composer.
He is a natural born talent - cannot read music, plays by ear. Now that's what I call miraculous, and, of course, beautifully heartbreaking.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...