4/13/2008

The Splendour of the Medici.

Sorry for not posting for a while but exam season is about to arrive really soon and I had absolutely no time to do anything I wanted. Well, except for one trip to the capital, Budapest to visit The Splendour of the Medici, a wonderful exhibition at the Museum of Fine Arts. Thankfully, named museum has many exciting and high-profile programs and this one was no exception. Just a few names whose works are exhibited: Leonardo da Vinci, Botticelli, Donatello, Raffaello, Michelangelo... and I could go on and on (besides, I also visited the Lines of Beauty exhibition with drawings from the Louvre by artists like Poussin and my dear Fragonard).
The most famous exhibited piece was Botticelli's Pallas and the Centaur that originally hangs in the Uffizi, Florence. The painting is simply brilliant and huge, unfortunately it is the one that attracts the crowd and I fel like I was staring at Mona Lisa in Louvre as I tried to admire it in its complete beauty, trying to find the best position between all the heads and necks of other visitors. But I am someone who stays in front of an artwork for as long as it is necessary so I didn't miss the full view either.

The leading role of the exhibition went to angels: they were present in many paintings and statues, I especially loved Donatello's Kneeling Angels (unfortunately I couldn't find a picture of it).
But my favourite piece was a da Vinci - his La Scapigliata is simply gorgeous, dreamy, angelic, the kind of masterpiece you stare at for maybe hours without even noticing it. One can completely lose oneself in it.

I believe the next exhibition I will visit (not counting the Picasso I am about to see next week) will be around October when Gustav Klimt and others will show us la Nuda Veritas (the naked turth). Can't wait to see!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...