1/31/2012

One.

With the uncountable great movies out there, it is always very hard for me to name those few that would qualify as my "favorites". I don't believe in naming only one -after all, it would be, quite simply, impossible. But maybe I could name, say, those five that are on top of my list. And the thing is, I love them all for different reasons.

There is one I do not watch too often but admire for all the emotions it contains, expresses and makes me feel: Last Tango in Paris. Sometimes it makes me smile, other times it makes me sad, and then it makes me think and later, excited - all this in a little more than two hours. Then, after the very last scene, there is that unexplicable silence when I still can't let go of the film's mood, when I don't really think about anything, I don't really feel anything, I just stay there, in front of the screen, absorbing and enjoying the experience. I know I saw a good movie when I want to conserve its ambient (I usually wait until the very end of the closing credits in these occasions).

With The Godfather, an obvious one to make the list, I just can't get over the fact how perfect it is. I must have seen it at least a 100 times (no kidding) and there are still newthings to discover. Then comes The Adventures of Picasso, also a film that I have seen many, many times and that always has a little surprise for me. Girl on the Bridge is one of the most beautiful motion pictures I have ever seen, with an extraordinary story and unforgettable music.



However, there is one movie I probably adore a little bit more than the others: The Man Who Wasn't There. I first saw it many years ago on tv and it was love at first sight. If you read this blog, you might as well know how crazy I am about the Coen brothers.Well, it all started with this one. Aside from representing pure perfection in every aspect and being one of the reasons I love cinema and wish to one day have something to do with it professionally, what makes me have stronger feelings for this one is the leading character, Ed Crane. Brought to life by an impeccable Billy Bob Thornton, this barber is, for me, the unsurpassable, the best, the most important movie personality I have ever had the luck to "know". If I had to choose which fictional character I would like to meet, I would not hesitate to name Mr. Crane. Of course I can't say it's because we would have so much to talk about - none of us is a man/woman of words - but I would enjoy sitting in silence with him more than anything.



Also, The Man Who Wasn't There is, from start to end (and by end, I mean the lastminute of the closing credits), like a symphony. Better said, it's like the combination of a beautiful poem and an amazing painting, with words so perfectly formed and images so astonishing that the result is mesmerizing. Whenever I watch this movie, I feel like I just can't look away. It's like being part of magic, the manifestation of something truly supernatural and sublime.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...