10/20/2008

Simply Steve.

Even if I prefer serious movies and even in comedies I opt for the not-so-idiot ones, I can't resist Steve Carell. Many call him the new Jim Carrey and they might be right since no matter how many movies Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler and all the other comics have made since Carrey ceased to be the number 1 in the world of comedies, Steve Carell is the only one who has the talent, the personality and last, but not least, the taste in films to be his follower. But I don't think he is the new Jim Carrey. I think Steve Carell has proved enough times that he deserves to be simply Steve Carell, brillian comic. The first time I saw him was in 40 Year Old Virgin and not only did I find the story itself interesting, I also laughed out hard a lot. This is something that never happens to me with most other comedies. Carell knows the balance between too idiot and loveably idiot acting and I would say he is the symbol of the new era of dramedies, think Little Miss Sunshine and Dan in Real Life. Of course the comparisons with Jim Carrey started with the Almighty duo but Bruce Almighty was more dramatic than Evan Almighty and this difference makes it impossible to compare the two movies.
Carell is an actor who knows how to be serious, it's just that in his movies he prefers not to be too serious.
I hope he will make more and more movies, because he's the only comic actor whose movies I actually want to see because I know he won't let me down. Plus, he has it all to become a comic legend - and let's see where his so- called rivals will be 10 years from now.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...