10/19/2008

Let's dance.

I do not go out on weekends, mainly because I don't like the music the youth of the 21st century likes to dance to. But there are many songs from the past decades that I love and admire and whenever I listen to them, I feel the need to dance, even if I'm a disaster on the dancefloor. Here are my top3.
1. Ritchie Valens - La Bamba
I have a special story with this one and when I hear this song I always think of it: when I was a kid, my father told me that the singer, Lionel Richie died in a plane crash and for years I thought it was actually Lionel Richie singing this song and I was very sad he died since I loved the song. But then Richie returned to music business (with Angel, if I'm not wrong) and all the radio stations and music TVs were talking about him. And then I was deeply confused! Of course, later I realized my father confused Lionel Richie with Ritchie Valens who actually did die at the very young age of 17 in a plane crash along with Buddy Holly, J. P. Richardson and the also young pilot. The day of the accident (February 3, 1959) is also known as The Day the Music Died. The song itself, La Bamba is a Mexican folk song, probably from around the 17th century. It is also called the hymn of Veracruz. Though Valens immortalized the song, many people think the Los Lobos version is the original and they often mistake them.







2. The Beatles - Twist and Shout
I don't think there is much to say about this song - everyone knows it and even those who dislike The Beatles say it's a great song. There is no need to explain why it is so significant in music history and popular culture and it's enough to listen to it again and again to understand why it is one of my favourite "dance songs".







3. Santana feat. Rob Thomas - Smooth
It is one of the greatest pop songs of the nineties, still loved by radios and retro programmes (you know, being old starts when the songs of your youth/childhood are featured in the "retro" section...), performed by guitar genious Santana and the simply wonderful Rob Thomas. Also, it's a great video. Supernatural.






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...